IMPORTANT CHANGES MADE TO FOOD INFO – JUNE 11TH, 2019
James River Batteau Festival
As we prepare for another successful year on the river, please consider
the following information in planning your time on the river!
JRBF Color Brochure:
Free Download – Print as many copies as you want!
-Important site change: Slate River. The site location for Slate River changed a few years ago. Please do not go to the former Solite Plant location. Our day on the river won’t change, as we are just moving to the opposite bank of the Slate, however it is very important that we both respect our new host and do not attempt to access the old site, which is now the site of a significant lumber operation whose business we cannot interfere with. New site can be accessed from Rt 652 and is the very last turn if coming from Scottsville before crossing the Slate. Follow the road down to the river. We must not drive or park on the left hand side of the road! DO NOT TIE UP BOATS OR CAMP AT THE OLD SITE. WE DO NOT HAVE PERMISSION TO BE ON SOLITE PROPERTY. Click here for new Google Map.
Daily Festival Information:
Lynchburg: Friday June 14th
* Lynchburg Parks & Recreation is hosting a Square Dance at Riverfront Park (at the circle fountain next to The Waterdog restaurant). Register here to join in on the fun!
Lynchburg: Saturday AM June 15th
* Canoes, Kayaks, and Batteaux can be launched at Riveredge Park Ramp on the Amherst County side of the river. (Do not leave cars in the lot overnight)
* Families and spectators will enjoy vendors and live music as they walk through the “Lynchburg Launch” festival on their way to Percival’s at 10:00am to see the Batteaux and crews and watch the launch at 11:00 AM.
* Please be at the island, look authentic, be family friendly and interact with the crowd as much as possible between 10:00 and 11:00AM.
GALT’S MILL: Saturday PM June 15th
* Saturday Evening the festival will stop at the field in Stapleton just down river from Galt’s Mill (space is at a premium at this site so please be mindful of this)
* Dinner Sat. PM at Stapleton/Galt’s Mill- THREE FOOD VENDORS:
1. VITOS – BURGERS & ICE CREAM
2. FOOD TRUCK – PHILLY CHEESE STEAK
3. FOOD TRUCK – SHAVED ICE
* Breakfast Sun AM AT GALT’S MILL: FOOD TRUCK – BREAKFAST BURRITOS.
* Ice will be available for sale Sunday AM while supplies last
* Trash will be removed, there will be a dumpster on site
* No drinking water will be available
Bent Creek: Sunday PM June 16th
* Sunday Evening the festival will stay in the field at Bent Creek just down river from the Rt. 60 Bridge on the Amherst/Nelson Co side of the river.
* Dinner SUNDAY-PM at Bent Creek: VITOS – PIZZA & PHILLY CHEESESTEAK.
* Breakfast is not available
* Ice will be available for sale Monday AM
* No drinking water will be available
Wingina: Monday PM June 17th
* Monday Evening the festival will stay in Wingina at the property just upriver from the DGIF boat ramp.
* DINNER – MONDAY AT WINGINA – FOOD TRUCK – MEXICAN FOOD.
* BREAKFAST- TUESDAY AM – WINGINA – FOOD TRUCK – BREAKFAST BURRITOS.
* Ice will be available Tue AM
* No drinking water will be available
* The landowner has asked that we keep dogs under control, preferably leashed
Howardsville: Tuesday PM June 18th
* Tuesday Evening the festival will stay in Howardsville at private property just down river from the Rockfish River, at the public boat landing.
* Tuesday Night Supper: Spaghetti Dinners, Sponsored by the Howardsville Masonic Lodge.
* Wednesday AM Breakfast: Breakfast Biscuits, Sponsored by the Howardsville Masonic Lodge.
* Ice and other supplies will be available for purchase at the Howardsville General Store within walking distance.
Scottsville: Wednesday PM June 19th
* Wednesday Evening the festival stops in Scottsville at the James River Reeling and Rafting property just upriver from the DGIF boat ramp.
* Dinner, breakfast, and supplies are available at various stores within walking distance
* Please support the various businesses in Scottsville who welcome us to town.
* Showers and camping is available at the Old School – Please do not enter the building until after 6:00PM – Please do not camp on the ball field.
Slate River: Thursday PM June 20th
* Thursday Evening the festival will stay at the new Slate River Site, NOT the old Solite plant. See map on calendar of events page.
* THURSDAY NIGHT SUPPER – Catfish, Cole Slaw, Baked Beans & Hush Puppies.
* FRIDAY AM BREAKFAST – BRING YOUR OWN
* Ice will be available for sale Fri. AM
Cartersville: Friday PM June 21st
* Friday Evening the festival will stop at the DGIF ramp in Cartersville and the field directly down river.
* FRIDAY NIGHT SUPPER – CHICKEN GUMBO
* SATURDAY AM BREAKFAST – BRING YOUR OWN.
* Ice will be available for sale Sat AM
* No water is available
* General Meeting. Meeting time has been changed from the usual Sat AM to Friday PM. Exact time flexible but plan to be invited to the meeting some time after 7:00PM. We’ll take a picture while the light is good, Award Dewey Pole, Award Lady Slipper Paddle, in addition to recognizing invited guests
Maidens Landing: Saturday PM June 22nd
* Batteaux will arrive mid afternoon
* No meal is provided
Note: This General Info Sheet will be updated when/if anything changes so please check back prior to the festival.
- The James River Batteau Festival depends on the generosity of numerous landowners to make this event possible. It is absolutely crucial that we respect and take care of the properties that are made available for our use.
- The JRBF respectfully requests that you support the food vendors as much as possible. They are crucial to many participants!!!!
- A brochure in PDF format is available for download at www.batteau.org. It gives general info about the festival including brief descriptions of each river day. It also has a map showing festival stops and a simplified road map between each stop.
- Canoeists & Kayakers are absolutely welcomed and encouraged to join us in enjoying the river and celebrating the history of the Batteau Era. (1775-1820)
- Camping for Non-Batteau crew is available and we ask for a $5.00 donation per night or $25.00 per week. The camping fee can be paid on site at the T-shirt booth. We ask for this voluntary payment to help defray the significant expenses of putting on the festival. Batteau Crew are covered by the fee each batteau pays to participate.
- Portable toilets are available at all sites for your enjoyment! Consider bringing paper!
- Water: Bring your own water at all sites.
- Ice will be available at each site either at stores within walking distance or by the festival ice trailer.
- Where Ice is provided by the festival it is on a first come first served basis for sale in the AM while limited supplies last. It is difficult to obtain the volume of ice needed and impossible to predict the exact amount needed, so please buy only what you absolutely need and be flexible.
- Trash will be picked up at all sites. Some places the county provides dumpsters, and at some sites the Batteau Festival will have a trailer. Please bring your trash to the location where it is being collected and help us leave the property cleaner then when we arrived.
- Membership in the VCNS (Virginia Canals and Navigations Society) is strongly encouraged of everyone who enjoys the James River and Batteau Festival. The VCNS is the parent organization for the JRBF, and without it there will be no Batteau Festival. Membership forms are available at the T-Shirt booth.